PROTORQUE has announced its X8 Series race torque converters – the first true innovation since the original 8” torque converter was introduced sixty years ago – for 600-2,000+ horsepower applications.
Working in conjunction with David Barton of the famed Ray Barton Racing Engines enterprise on his NHRA Factory Stock Showdown program, ProTorque’s forward-thinking founder, Joe Rivera, developed a performance-oriented 8” torque converter.
Using the same technology that ProTorque pioneered 15+ years ago with its Revolution Series torque converters in the Pro Modified and Outlaw Drag Radial markets, and the “Born From Top Fuel Technology” manufacturing capabilities of ProTorque’s parent company, Boninfante Friction, Rivera and Barton collaborated on a project that produced huge results.
Thanks to relentless testing and refinement, both on track and on a hub dyno, ProTorque’s X8 converter enabled Barton’s Chevrolet COPO Camaro to pick up 3-4 miles per hour in its quarter-mile trap speeds. In a class with strict rules and relatively lower horsepower levels, accomplishing such a task is typically a monumental challenge – but Barton made it look easy; so easy, in fact, that NHRA officials even tore down his combination because they believed he was running a prohibited lock-up torque converter.
Rivera specifically created the X8 to perform like a lock-up converter without actually being one and to maximize the torque capacity of a smaller, 8” diameter unit. “We created a converter that has enough slip and flash stall to get the engine in the right place with more efficiency than any of the other platforms currently available,” Rivera shared. “We blended ProTorque and Boninfante’s OE-manufacturing with performance and found the right platform to create a new line of billet stators and aluminum back covers to get the desired results.”
In ProTorque’s product line, the X8 is the “little brother” to its record-setting U9 converters which have shown tremendous proficiency in classes such as Ultra Street lately. The X8 is geared towards a larger sportsman-style market, including NHRA classes such as Factory Stock Showdown, Stock, Super Stock, Comp Eliminator, Top Dragster, Top Sportsman, and more. Able to support over 2,000+ horsepower, the X8 is also perfectly suited for cars in the 600-horsepower range and everything in between.
• Lightweight 7075 T6 billet aluminum bolt-together drive cover
• Fully CAD/CAM designed and CNC-machined
• Integral strengthening struts provide extra support in critical areas to prevent flexing or ballooning
• Rotating mass is reduced by removing material from non-critical areas
• Fully radiused to prevent stress risers
• 6 mounting locations to accommodate both large and small bolt pattern flex plates
CUSTOM DESIGNED HARDWARE:
• 12 custom Aerospace (4340 rolled thread) fastening studs
• “Safe-D” stud technology which are indexed into the aluminum front cover to provide a safe and secure way to keep both halves of the converter in constant compression
• Steel Keenserts provide the safest and strongest method to attach the flex plate to the converter
CUSTOM BILLET STATOR:
• Custom billet stators have been CAD/CAM-designed and CNC-machined from solid billet steel or billet aluminum
• 10 strut mechanical diode or spragless configuration
• Many options are available for tunability in specific combinations and conditions
• Future custom stator designs will allow infinite adjustability to fine tune power application
• Allen head jacking bolts provided to ease disassembly
ProTorque’s revolutionary X8 series converters are currently being produced to fit the GM TH350, TH400, and Powerglide 30-spline transmissions but expanded applications will be coming soon. Prices range from $1,900-$2,900 and the company is accepting pre-orders for its X8 torque converters and expects approximately 30-45 days for the first round of fulfillment. Enthusiasts who want to push their programs father are invited to experience what having the highest level of technology and manufacturing expertise can do where and when it matters most.
To learn more, or to order, visit www.ProTorque.com or call ProTorque directly at (631) 218-8700.
Since its inception in the ‘80s, ProTorque has focused on quality and quality has been the reason for its phenomenal growth and customer loyalty. In 2020, Joe Rivera and ProTorque joined the Boninfante family in their state of the art facility in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where all resources are devoted to motorsports and the development of high-performance products. For more information, visit online at www.ProTorque.com, “like” ProTorque on Facebook at facebook.com/ProTorque and follow ProTorque on Instagram at @ProTorque. Tag #TeamProTorque to be featured.
Joe Rivera | P: (631) 218-8700| E: firstname.lastname@example.org | W: www.ProTorque.com
Ainsley Jacobs| P: (267) 738-2134 | E: ainsley@PTENmarketing.com | W: www.PTENmarketing.com | P.TEN Marketing